Making It Better invites us to rethink conventional approaches to health promotion and to strive for transformative initiatives and policies. Offering practical tools and evidence-based strategies for moving from gender integration to gender transformation, this anthology is required reading for policymakers, health promotion and healthcare practitioners, researchers, community developers, and social service providers.
Making It Better: Gender Transformative Health Promotion
Lorraine Greaves, Ann Pederson, Nancy Poole (editors)
$59.95 Paper 366 pages
Available from Canadian Scholar’s Press/Women’s Press
Making It Better: Gender Transformative Health Promotion was released in November 2014.
- View an introduction to the book by co-editors Lorraine Greaves and Nancy Poole at the “From Gender Integration to Gender Transformation” forum held in Victoria, Australia in December 2014.
- View clips from the launch in Vancouver, British Columbia held in January 2015.
Table of Contents
Foreward / Marilyn Beaumont
Preface / Lorraine Greaves, Ann Pederson and Nancy Poole
Introduction: Raising the Bar on Women’s Health Promotion / Lorraine Greaves
- Envisioning Gender-transformative Health Promotion / Ann Pederson, Nancy Poole, Lorraine Greaves, Julieta Gerbrandt and Mei Lan Fang
- Power and Empowerment in Health Promotion for Women / Pamela Ponic, Lorraine Greaves, Ann Pederson and Lynne Young
- Diversifying Health Promotion / Colleen Reid, Ann Pederson, and Sophie Dupéré
- Igniting Global Tobacco Control / Natalie Hemsing and Lorraine Greaves
- Recalculating risk: An opportunity for gender-transformative alcohol education for girls and women / Lauren Bialystok, Nancy Poole, Lorraine Greaves, Gerald Thomas
- Promoting the Mental Health of Immigrant Women by Transforming Community Physical Activity / Donna S. Lee, Wendy Frisby, Pamela Ponic
- Pioneering Women-Centred Heart Health Promotion / Ann Pederson, Mona Izadnegahdar, Karin H Humphries and Lynne Young
- Housing, Violence, and Women’s Health: Addressing the Social Determinants of Health in Health Promotion / Pamela Ponic and Jill Atkey
- Illuminating Gender-transformative Mental Health Promotion in the Workplace / Paola Ardiles, Kathy GermAnn & Farah Mawani
- Rethinking Preconception and Maternal Health: A Prime Opportunity for Gender-Transformative Health Promotion / Lauren Bialystok, Lorraine Greaves, and Nancy Poole
- Provoking Gender-Transformative Health Promotion / Nancy Poole, Judie Bopp and Lorraine Greaves
- Creating Lasting Change: Advocacy for Gender-transformative Health Promotion / Petra Begnell and Rose Durey
- Promoting Women’s Hospitals as a Site for Change / Lorraine Greaves and Elizabeth Whynot
- Taking a Stand: A Gender- transformative Approach to Preventing Violence against Women / Rose Durey
- Catalyzing Gender-Transformative Health Promotion / Lorraine Greaves
Afterword / Helen Keleher